Have an account?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

New River Rendezvous 2008

The last 2 weeks have been action packed, needless to say, I haven't had much time to post any new blogs (apologies).  First off, I would like to thank the tenants at 9 Smith (Dan, Dylan, & Clint) for letting me crash at their place while staying in Athens (Ohio).  I had the opportunity to meet up with old friends, and complete the Athens checklist, which consisted of visiting my favorite places (Casa Nueva, Jackie O's, Village Bakery, etc.).  After meeting up with the A-Town crew on the 15th, Dan and I headed down to Fayetteville, WV for the New River Rendezvous (#6).  A weekend long festival where friends of new and old meet to climb and relax, while raising money for the New River Alliance of Climbers.  The New River Gorge is one of my favorite climbing areas of all time, and a frequented visiting place while attending Ohio University.  Athens had a strong showing, with around 15-20 people showing up.  I even got my best friend, Ben Denlinger, and his girlfriend Megan to show up.  Look for Ben in the Sumo Pad Wrestling clip, it is hilarious.  I've put together a video montage of the festival, taken with my small digital camera.  Below is a shortened version of the original (Excuse the quality, because of size limitations and web streaming, the video quality is low.  I mean real low).




After the rendezvous, Dan informed me of a climbing trip to the Red River Gorge during Memorial Day Weekend (the following week).  Our buddy Nate was renting two cabins for the weekend, all inclusive w/hot tub.  I wasn't due back to work until the 27th, so there was nothing holding me back.  We climbed in the Red on the 24th, 25, & 26th, it was phenomenal!  We put most of our focus to the newly developed areas at Muir Valley.  Except for the tasty arete, "No Place Like Home," which had stellar exposure and unique views of the gorge.  This trip was a perfect way to end my east coast adventure, and an excellent way to begin this years rope season.

0 comments: