Have an account?

Monday, September 15, 2008

Black Canyon, Weekend of 9/6

Since I moved to Colorado, I have been bugging Trevor to take me to Black Canyon (located near Gunnision, CO).  In the spring it was too cold, late spring/early summer I was working, the summer too hot, and now the temps are bearable again.  The Black is host to some of the longest trad. routes in the country, 1500-2000 ft. in length.  Trevor and I climbed Journey Home (5.10) on the North Chasm Wall (9/6/08).  The beginning is approximately 300 ft. of 3rd-to-easy-5th class climbing to a good ledge.  There is a dangerous 1st pitch rated at 5.9 R/X, which I lead, and then sustained 5.9/5.10 for another 1,000 ft. or so.  All said and done, the route covers approximately 1,500 ft. of vertical gain.  It is by far one of the longest routes I have ever done.  Here is a blurb from Mountain Project about the Black,  "All routes here should be considered adventure climbing with challenging rock, rock quality, route finding, runouts, etc.. Assistance, in the event of the unexpected, is difficult to non-existent. Be prepared."

Journey Home highlighted in red




                                   
I didn't have time to edit the video.  So, if you have a laptop be prepared to move your screen with the video I took.


Climbers across the canyon on "Astro Dog" (South Chasm Wall)


Trevor rappelling into "Cruise Gully"


Trevor on the 3rd pitch of Journey Home


Painted Wall



Checker Board Wall

0 comments: